There has been a Walshaw Football Team of one kind or another since the 1890’s. They played on many different sites within the village.
In the 1920’s and 1930’s, they had a very strong team.
During 1939 to 1945 they played their football in Tottington. After the war the team returned to the village and played on the same ground until the late 1940’s.
The early 1950’s saw the start of a very good squad of players emerging, and between 1954 to 1964 they won many league cups.
In 1965 the village Cricket team and the Football team merged under the Chairmanship of Ken Barlow.
WALSHAW SPORTS CLUB WAS FORMED.
They secured a long term lease on the present Sycamore Road ground. The members worked tirelessly to construct the new clubhouse facilities, and created a first class Cricket and Football venue which was once only rough grazing land, and became something that the People within the village became proud of.
The late 1960’s and early 1970’s, saw many improvements to the facilities and the dedicated band of Players and social members set their sites on establishing a Sports Club that would not only be the pride of the Village but would bring many years of enjoyment to the playing members and social members alike.
Walshaw Sport Club is steeped in tradition.
The club was opened by Sir Tom Finney in 1968.
Emlyn Hughes opened the members lounge in _1973
In 1970 the dressing rooms were opened by Sir Cedrick Rose then Chairman of L.C.C.C.
These facilities were paid for by cash with all the efforts and hard work by the dedicated team of people.
THE LION OF VIENNA NAT LOFTHOUSE opened the extension in 1977. This gave the club some excellent social facilities.
Walshaw Club has gone from strength to strength and is very proud to have such a strong representation from the playing and social members. We now have three senior cricket and six junior teams. Football have three senior and fourteen junior teams plus the up and coming little stars 4 to 6 year olds coached on a Saturday morning also the ladies of the club have two rounders sides.
After seven years of planning and trying to get planning permission and grants and many hours of work done by dedicated volunteers the all weather football floodlit facilities were opened in October 2003 and the full refurbishment to the Changing facilities.
In 2005/06 Season Walshaw decided to make the upward step into the Manchester League and in their first Season lifted the prestigious Murray Shield .To be Continued …..
This feature is currently in development but will be available soon.